Thursday, July 23, 2009

Do you want money?




I had a funny thing happen at the bank yesterday!

It was not ONLY me making the linguistic mistake this time. It was the bank teller too!

After making my deposit, I wanted to get some "change" for a 50 Euro bill. I know that the French word for change is: monnaie - which looks and sounds like our English: money. But I'm thinking that's only for coins, not paper bills. I didn't want a pocket full of coins. So, not knowing really how to ask for that in anything other than "Tarzan French", you know, "Me want food!", "Me want change!" I showed him my bill and said in English, "Is it possible to get some petit..."

Anyway, he asked me in English, "Do you want some money?" Yes, I would like some money!

I got a smile when I realized that I'm not the only one making linguistic mistakes!!

Vive la France!

(PS: it IS Vive, not Viva, as I formerly thought. Thanks to blogger "Polly-Vous Francais?" for this language lesson!!)

No comments: