Tuesday, October 28, 2008

French Gift Certificates??


Today I was at my favorite little French bistro, ummmm, no, ummmm... what do they call the catering trucks that pull up to construction sites, there's got to be an English word for that!

Ours is called: La Pitchoune, which means something like"little girl" in French - please don't quote me on this - you know how dangerous that can be, right?


Anyway, with my keen powers of observation, I've noticed other people paying her with what looks like a gift certificate coupon. And she gives a very official refund back, a "Post-it", stamped with her name, and the amount still good on the coupon!

I think, "Hmmm, interesting, she must have gone around to all the offices and offered them a discount if they would buy these coupon books. Or, maybe it's the French version of the "Entertainment" book. In either case, I need to figure out how to get one!"

WRONG!!!

I just discovered that these coupon books are given to employees, by their employer, as a "perk", and it seems to be expected, or obligitory! Hmmm... I must look into this! :)

A favorite website "Chocolate and Zuccini" puts it this way: http://chocolateandzucchini.com/archives/2005/06/le_ticket_resto.php
Yikes! I just learned that I can't eat in my office! It's prohibited under French law!? Wow!! Well, I'll just do it the French way, IGNORE that law!

Bon appetit!

No comments: