Sunday, October 12, 2008

French Driver's License, Take Three, Groan!!!

Well, the saga continues!!!

I just got home from a 10 day trip to Germany and Switzerland, where, by the way I kept answering everybody with "Oui" instead of "Ja" and "Merci" instead of "Danke schon". Actually, this is a good thing because it means that French is starting to reside in the front lobs of my brain, rather than buried deep in the recesses, fighting it's way out before the German and Russian that are also living there!! :)

But I digress...

Got home this morning to find the infamous "lettre" from the Prefecture, waiting in my mailbox! And guess what? I get to GO BACK TO THE PREFECTURE with ALL THE DOCUMENTS THAT I ALREADY GAVE THEM!!!!!!!!! But this time, with the photos and the self addressed, stamped envelope - which I tried to give them the first time, but they wouldn't take!!! GROAN!!

Is this not bureaucracy at it's finest???????

Plus, I also need to take a form, which was enclosed in the "lettre", which I had already printed off the Internet, filled in, and submitted on my first trip to the Prefecture, which the first lady THREW AWAY.

Can you tell I'm a bit annoyed???? Oh well, that's life in France!
By the way, I think I promised to show you a copy of my ancient German driver's license from 1986, which I've been told never expires! So, even though it doesn't look like me anymore, it's my trump card, just in case this whole adventure with exchanging my US license for a French license doesn't work out! I'm just thankful that I don't have to take the French driving test! A colleague is working on that now, studying a 150 page "Road Book", all in French, in hopes that he can pass the test on the first try!! It will be a miracle, but, miracles do happen!




3 comments:

Debra said...

I can understand you being annoyed, when you went the first time all prepared and they wouldn't accept any of it. Glad you shared the German license pic - I can still tell it is you, though!

Kristin Braun said...

Sorry to hear about your ongoing license problems :/ I hope this time around they are able to do everything correctly! And thanks for sharing the drivers license picture! Haha, I could still tell it was you too :)

Unknown said...

fabulous glasses you were sporting back in the 80s. stylish for sure! And you are still so stylish!